- Thermal paper is a special fine paper that is coated with a chemical that changes color when exposed to heat.
- It is used in thermal printers and particularly in inexpensive or lightweight devices such as adding machines, cash registers, and credit card terminals
- The surface of the paper is coated with a solid-state mixture of a dye and a suitable matrix; a combination of a fluoran leuco dye and octadecylphosphonic acid
- Thermal paper is commonly used by retail organizations, restaurants, casinos, convenience stores, financial institutions, research foundations, etc. for receipt paper, atm slips, gas pump receipts, slot machine tickets and other data processing purposes.
- It is a special paper grade essential in our modern age of on demand printing and proof of purchase.