- Nitrogen trifluoride is the inorganic compound with the formula NF3, this nitrogen-fluorine compound is a colorless, toxic, odourless, nonflammable gas.
- It finds increasing use as an etchant in microelectronics.
- Nitrogen trifluoride is used in the plasma etching of silicon wafers.
- Today nitrogen trifluoride is predominantly employed in the cleaning of the PECVD chambers in the high volume production of liquid crystal displays and silicon-based thin film solar cells.
- In these applications NF3 is initially broken down in situ, by a plasma.