- Perch is a common name for fish of the genus Perca, freshwater gamefish belonging to the family Percidae.
- The perch, of which there are three species in different geographical areas, lend their name to a large order of vertebrates the Perciformes, from the Greek perke meaning spotted, and the Latin forma meaning shape.
- Many species of freshwater gamefish more or less resemble perch, but belong to a different genera.
- In fact, the exclusively salt water dwelling red drum is often referred to as a red perch, even though by definition perch are freshwater fish.
- Though many fish are referred to as perch as a common name, to be considered a true perch the fish must be of the family Percidae.