- Beach sand minerals are different to most commodities.
- The term "Beach sand mineral" normally refers to concentrations of heavy minerals (HM) in an alluvial (old beach or river system) environment.
- The mineral sands industry consists of two principal product streams:
First one is-Titanium dioxide minerals in the form of rutile, ilmenite and leucoxene and the second is Zircon.
- Ilmenite is also used to manufacture titanium slag and synthetic rutile products.
- The heavy minerals of the Florida region are very sparse in the areas of Pleistocene sands back from the coast.