- Tetraethyl orthosilicate(Ethyl Silicate) is the chemical compound with the formula Si(OC2H5)4. Often abbreviated TEOS, this molecule consists of four ethyl groups attached to SiO44- ion, which is called orthosilicate.
- Synonyms of TEOS are ethyl silicate, silicic acid, tetraethyl ester, silicon ethoxide.
- TEOS can be considered to be the ethyl ester of orthosilicic acid, Si(OH)4. It is a prototypical alkoxide.
- TEOS is a tetrahedral molecule. Many analogues exist, and most are prepared by alcoholysis of silicon tetrachloride.
- Ethyl Silicate has the remarkable property of easily converting into silicon dioxide. This reaction occurs upon the addition of water.